We’re getting there. T-4 days and counting until the surgery. Am I nervous? Not really. I’m anxious to get it done since getting it done means starting to get better. Once the decision is made to do the deed, just do it.

Shujie and I went to the pre-op meeting last Monday and were at the hospital for 6 hours. They tell you stuff which is okay but they do blood work, swaps for infections, an ECG, an X-ray and so on. I don’t get it. The surgery was in 9 days. I could be fine on that day and on death’s doorstep on surgery day. I think it’s another cost-cutting measure and while I’m all in favour of saving costs, let’s get real. If it isn’t the best thing you can do, don’t do it. Just tell the patient we have no money so we’re not going to check you the day before (when they should) and let the chips fall where they may. The way they do it now they spend money, but there is too wide a gap between test and surgery.

Elana (eldest daughter) is flying in from London the day before the surgery and is staying for 6 days. I’m quite surprised and touched by this. Shujie always tells me to not give up on my kids and I don’t “give up” anymore. Whatever happens, happens. And if it happens good, like this, then I’m beyond thrilled.

We departed my mother’s and her live-in’s (boyfriend) apartment. I can’t say boyfriend when a guy is 83, but my mom is happy and they get along and communicate with each other. My mom is happy so I’m happy. It seems that Lionel (the beau) has a reputation of sorts and my mother told me all her friends were shocked that he let us stay there that long without complaining. Naturally I’m sure we all got on each other’s nerves a bit but that’s natural. After all, this was supposed to be a 3-hour cruise but we got shipwrecked.

We rented a furnished basement apartment (we need to live on the cheap as we hope to return to countries unknown next August) that is 5 minutes away from my mom’s. She’s happy about that. The basement apartment is on the ground floor so there is a glass door leading outside which is nice. Sunlight. We should be able to survive it.

We went grocery shopping for ourselves for the 1st time in 4 years. I almost had a heart attack when it came time to pay the bill. $182!!!!! That was for food. The last time we shopped it was about $100 for us. I know prices have gone up but they’ve gone crazy. Who wants to live in such a place with high prices, high rents, loads of traffic and so on. I’d rather be in Kurdistan working but I’m not normal anyways.

We are going to our 2nd movie since returning to Toronto this afternoon. We’ll see “A Walk Among the Tombstones” because I’m a HUGE Matt Scudder fan (fictional detective) and have read all the books about him twice. It can’t be any worse than the “Planet of the Apes” film we saw earlier this summer based on the recommendation of my ex-nephew Jared (yes, it was so bad I had to sever our family relationship).

I’m falling asleep a lot during the day and while I feel better than I did when I had congestive heart failure, I still have trouble breathing. I have really high hopes that this will give me a few years of peace before my next surgery and for me, there is always a next surgery.

I’ve asked Shujie to bring the camera and I hope they let her take pictures of me in the ICU. I’ll be unconscious so I’d love to see what I’ve missed. I’ll be in the ICU for 6 to 24 hours and then I’m in a 3 or 4 bed room. They are working on a new heart wing at this hospital but I’m a year early. This is an old hospital (with top doctors) so I guess good doctors are more important.

Life is pretty boring at the moment and it will be for the next couple of months. Of course, if I’m tired all the time, I don’t notice the boredom so much. We got a car last Saturday (Ford Focus) on an 11-month lease takeover, which is great since that means it’s up in August, 2015. Only Shujie got insurance since I won’t be able to drive until the end of November or so. Why pay for me when I won’t use it? She has to drive me places but I’ve been reasonably calm. I’m not the best passenger.

Maybe I’ll post a brief update from the hospital and maybe I won’t. I’ll see how I feel. I will post (I hope) at the end of next week. If I don’t post again, well, that means what it means. However, I am looking forward to this and being able to breath “normally” again.

See y’all on the other side.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: